Teens & Illicit Drugs Resources
Adolescence is a time of risk taking. For some adolescents, this includes experimenting with illicit drugs such as marijuana, cocaine, ecstasy, heroine, mushrooms, and other substances.
These drugs are extremely harmful and often extremely addictive. This page provides information about many of these different illegal drugs, including their health and legal consequences.
- Alcohol and Drug Use links: The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) list provides potentially useful resources for drug information and facts and educational materials.
- Drugs, Brain, and Behavior: The Science of Addiction: This National Institute of Drug Abuse (NIDA) 30-page full-color booklet that explains in layman's terms how drug addiction is a brain disease that affects behavior, compared to addiction being viewed as a moral flaw. The booklet discusses reasons people may begin to take drugs, why only some people become addicted, how drugs work in the brain to reduce a person's ability to make sound decisions and use self-control, and how addiction is treated.
- Above the Influence: This interactive Web site for teens provides great information in layman's terms about the risks and affects of many different illegal drugs. It also includes links to news articles and personal stories, celebrity interviews, inspiration wall, and teenage-made Above the Influence commercials advertising what being "above the influence" means to them.
- National Association of Drug Court Professionals: This link provides a list of drug courts throughout the United States.
- National Families in Action: These guides for parents seek to prevent drug abuse by promoting policies based on science. The Web site includes guides to the drug-prevention movement, drug-legalization movement, drug-related state ballot initiatives, drugs and the brain, publications and resources for parents.
- Intervene: A Community of Parents Concerned About their Teens: Resource for parents concerned about teen alcohol and drug usage. This program was created by Drug Free America.
- Trusted Heroin Rehab - Know the Facts on Drug Abuse
This site offers an extensive list of resources and facts about drug abuse.