"Good Parenting Through Your Divorce"
Good Parenting Through Your Divorce: How to Recognize, Encourage, and Respond to Your Child's Feelings and Help Them Get Through Your Divorce (2006)
By: Mary Ellen Hannibal
The Kids' Turn workshop is a 15-year-old program that offers a six-week program to help parents and children identify and cope with the issues that come out of separation and divorce.
Research shows that Kids' Turn works because it gives children the tools to confront the pain of divorce and move on. It also educates caregivers about what their children are going through.
Hannibal's book offers a step-by-step approach to the key topics for parents and their children, including:
- How to recognize, cultivate, and respond to your child's feelings
- How divorce affects your child's development and how to support your child's healthy growth over time
- How children at different developmental stages react to divorce
- How to connect with your children through better communication and how to manage communication with your co-parent
- How to support your child's expressive self
- The challenge of behavior and discipline
- The dos and don'ts of shared parenting
Reviewed By: Adolescent Interest Group
Last Reviewed: August 2013