College Transition: Resources for Parents
Whether your child is going to a local community college or an ivy league campus across the country, the transition from high school to college is huge for your child, your family and you as a parent. Frequently the support that exists for families of young children just isn't there for parents of teens and young adults.
We've collected a list of books and resources for those of us experiencing this transition. Hang on -- the road might get bumpy!
- When Your Kid Goes to College: A Parents Survival Guide, by Barkin, C. (1998). Publisher: Harper Paperbacks.
- Prepared Parent's Operational Manual: Sending Your Child to College, by M. Carr, K. Carr and A. Carr (2009).Publisher: Dicmar Publishing; Expanded edition.
- The Launching Years: Strategies for Parenting from Senior Year to College Life, by L. Kastner, and J. Wyatt (2002) Publisher: Three Rivers Press.
- You're On Your Own (But I'm Here if You Need Me): Mentoring Your Child During the College Years, by M. Savage (2003). Publisher: Fireside.
- What To Expect When Your Child Leaves For College: A Complete Guide for Parents Only, by M. Spohn (2008). Publisher: Atlantic Publishing Company.
Back to top
College Links from Teen Health 411
Picking a College
- Making Community College Important
- A Gap Year
- College Touring
- College Touring with Younger Siblings
- College Visits - The OR/WA Road Trip
- On the Road Again: Another College Visit
- The First Overnight in a College Dorm
- College Financial Aid
- College Costs: Reality Check
- Stanford Here We Come
- College Financial Aid - When to Start Applying
- Student Loans
- Guide to College Admission Process
- College Applications & Facebook
- What Matters in the College Application
- Is Character as Important as Grades?
- College Courting: Decision Approaching
- College Letters are Coming
- Picking a College - The Last Step
- What to Expect When Your Child Leaves for College
- Book Review: You are on Your Own (but I'm Here if You Need Me)
- The Used to be Empty Nest
- The Launching Years, Part 1
- The Launching Years, Part 2
- Teens Leaving for College
- When Your Kid Goes to College
- Is Your Parenting Ready for College?
- My Kid is Going to College
Back to top
Additional Outside Resources
- The Launching Years: No Time to Stop Parenting. Kastner & Wyatt (2002).
- Teen Health 411 post about gap years.
Back to top