School Transitions for Teens
Middle School and high school tend to be times of high stress and great fun for most teenagers. Both increased responsibility and increased independence create a whole new environment that adolescents have to learn to navigate. This page provides information for you as a parent on how to help your child through the highs and lows of school transitions.
PAMF Content for Parents
- Blogging: Creating Community in the 21st Century
- How to Stay Safe in the Electronic Age
- The Impact of Video Games on Children
- Media and Your Kids
- Parenting a Preteen
PAMF Content for Your Preteen
- Meeting New People at Middle School
- School for Preteens
- Transition to Middle School
- Teachers and Students
PAMF Content for Your Teen
- Getting Involved in Your Child's Education: This National Education Association Web site provides information for parents on why parental involvement is so important in a child's education. It includes helpful tips on how to get involved as well as useful links to other sources.
- Parents' Resource Center: The Center for Health in Schools' Web site provides two types of information: Learn Now a Web portal that provides valuable links to parent-friendly resources on child and adolescent health issues, and Act Now, a guide written by CHHCS to help parents assess health-related services and programs at their child's schools.
- Cliques, Phonies and Other Baloney by Trevor Romain
- The Launching Years: Strategies for Parenting from Senior Year to College Life, by Laura Kastner and Jennifer Wyatt.
- College Unranked: Affirming Educational Values in College Admissions by Lloyd Thacker
- Doing School: How We Are Creating a Generation of Stressed-Out, Materialistic and Miseducated Students by Denise Clark Pope
- The Price of Privilege: How Parental Pressure and Material Advantage Are Creating a Generation of Disconnected and Unhappy Kids by Madeline Levine
- Seeing is Achieving: Improve Your Child's Chances for Success by Dr. Donald J. Getz and Laura G. McGraw
- Too Old for This, Too Young for That: Your Survival Guide for the Middle-School Years by Harriet Mosatche, Ph.D., and Karen Unger