Eating Disorders in Adolescents
Unfortunately, many adolescents today will have an eating disorder at some point in their lives. It is important for you as parents to be supportive while helping your child get the support or treatment s/he needs. Below are many resources for parents to help prevent and/or address eating disorders.
PAMF Content for Your Preteen
PAMF Content for Your Teen
- Anorexia Nervosa
- Binge Eating
- Bulimia Nervosa
- Dangers of Eating Disorders
- Eating Disorders
- Eating Disorders Help Hotlines
- Orthorexia Nervosa
- Privacy about Eating Disorder Question
- Bright Futures - Eating Disorders: This Bright Futures brochure provides helpful information on symptoms, interventions, tips and resources for parents and guardians dealing with adolescents with eating disorders. It includes straightforward graphs and tables that make diagnosing and comparing disorders easier to understand.
- Eating Disorders: This Child and Youth Health Web site for parents provides up-to-date health information, specifically on eating disorders. It also provides detailed overviews on different eating disorders and information on how parents can respond to these problems. It includes a parent helpline phone number and further reading.
- Eating Disorder Treatment Centers: This list of eating disorder treatment centers include international treatment centers accepting patients from all across the United States, Canada and worldwide. It is recommended by www.healthfinder.gov.
- Information for Family and Friends: The National Eating Disorders Association Web site for parents about anorexia, bulimia, binge eating, and other eating disorders includes links for important topics, such as tips for helping prevent eating disorders and tips for talking to a friend with an eating disorder.
- National Eating Disorder Centre: This Web site provide information and resources on eating disorders and weight preoccupation, with the ultimate goal of promoting healthy lifestyles that allow people to be fully engaged in their lives. It includes resources such as an online library, store, toll free number, directory of service providers and PSA videos.
- Search for a Support Group: This Web site connects individuals with free eating disorder support groups within their area.
- Ten Things Parents Can Do to Prevent Eating Disorders: Parents are encouraged to examine whether they over-emphasize beauty and body shape. These 10 tips can assist parents in helping their children maintain positive, healthy attitudes and behaviors.
- The Body Project: An Intimate History of American Girls by Joan Jacobs Brumberg