Adolescents and Exercise
Physical activity is a key factor in maintaining a healthy lifestyle, for both children and adults. It is recommended teens get at least 30 minutes of exercise per day. Below are many helpful resources kids and their parents can utilize to reach this goal.
PAMF Content for Parents
PAMF Content for Your Preteen
- Activities for Fitness
- Benefits of Fitness
- Body Mass Index
- The Darker Side of Snowboarding
- Fitness Activities
- Fitness Tips
- Too Much TV?
PAMF Content for Your Teen
- American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP): Physical Activity: [link embedded] This Web site contains patient education brochures and policy statements on topics that include promoting physical activity, safety tips for home playground equipment, organized sports, physical fitness and activity in schools and strength training. It also includes numerous links to other helpful sites.
- BAM! Body and Mind: This Web site for kids promotes physical activity and includes resources such as customized fitness calendars, Q&A with the experts, personal story sharing among kids and an exercise personality quiz.
- Generation Fit: This Web site outlines Generation Fit, a program that recruits teens to get actively involved in improving the health in their communities. It focuses on good nutrition and the need to stay physically active.
- Helping Your Overweight Child : This is a Web site for parents that suggests ways to get your child excited about exercise. It includes additional information about helping your overweight child live a healthier life.
- National Walk to School: This is the official Web site for the National Walk Our Children to School Day.
- Pretty Tough: This social networking site is designed to empower young girls and young women to excel in athletics while remaining true to their feminine side. It includes new and vintage sports-related videos, music, profiles on women athletes, products and a book club.
- "I'm, Like, SO Fat!": Helping Your Teen Make Healthy Choices about Eating and Exercise in a Weight-Obsessed World by Dianne Neumark-Sztainer
Have you read this book we have reviewed? Rate it! Just click on the link to the book review.