Adolescent and Teen General Health
Preteen and teen health are important issues for every parent. This section of our site is devoted to helping parents deal with adolescent topics and issues. Here you will find articles written for parents of preteens and teens, outside resources, links to relevant PAMF content for kids and recommended books.
This section of is divided into the following pages:
- Body Art
- Chronic Conditions
- Common Conditions
- Eating Disorders
- Exercise and Physical Activity
- Normal Growth & Development 9+
- Self-Esteem & Body Image
- Vaccination & Immunization
PAMF Content for Parents
PAMF Content for Your Preteen
- General Health Questions Help Hotlines
- Growing Up
- A Message From Your Pediatrician
- My Body
- Nail Care
- Runaway Help Hotlines
- Skin Care
PAMF Content for Your Teen
- ABCs of Healthy Relationships
- General Health Information
- Health Information Encyclopedia
- Runaway Help Hotlines
- Tanning and Sun Exposure
- Adolescent Health: The AMA Web site for parents provides information on adolescent health issues. It includes information on Healthy People 2010, injury prevention, violence and bullying, nutrition and physical fitness, alcohol, drug and tobacco use, mental health, reproductive health, State Children's Health Insurance Program (SCHIP) and news. It also includes adolescent health links and other resources.
- BAM!: Designed by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) for kids 9 to 13 years old, BAM! Body and Mind gives preteens the information they need to make healthy lifestyle choices. It includes information for kids on disease, food and nutrition, physical activity, safety, life and their bodies. Other fun resources include game room, activity calendar, quizzes and feature animations.
- GirlsHealth: For Parents and Caregivers: The Web site of the U.S. Office on Women's Health's was created to help parents prepare to deal with some of the issues their girls will likely face. The parent/caregiver section provides resources and links to helpful information about teen girls' health, growing up and the issues they may face.
- Preteen Alliance: The Lucile Packard Foundation for Children's Health Web site supports the emotional and behavioral health of preteens. It includes preteen data, support groups, discussion forums, news, research and other resources.
- TeensHealth: This teen Web site from The Nemours Foundation addresses issues ranging from sexual health to nutrition and mental issues. It includes resources such as quizzes, peer discussions on personal problems, ask-the-experts and fun facts.
- The Period Book: Everything You Don't Want to Ask (But Need to Know) by Karen Gravelle and Jennifer Gravelle
- Reviving Ophelia: Saving the Selves of Adolescent Girls by Mary Pipher
- Body Drama; Real Girls, Real Bodies, Real Issues, Real Answers by Nancy Amanda Redd
- Unhooked: How Young Women Pursue Sex, Delay Love and Lose at Both by Laura Sessions Stepp