"We're Talking!" was developed by the Adolescent Interest Group (AIG) of the Palo Alto Medical Foundation (PAMF). The group is composed of PAMF physicians, social workers, educators and researchers concerned with addressing the health care needs of adolescents. AIG members volunteer countless hours to review Web content and create new material to ensure the site continues to provide teens with comprehensive, up-to-date health information. Also contributing to the site include are a group of teens that comprise the Summer Wellness Education and Training for Teens (SWEAT) Institute.
Visitors may notice that different pages sound like they were written by different people. That's because they were! Much of our content comes from kids themselves. While PAMF edits their submissions for grammar, punctuation and accuracy, we appreciate and try to protect the unique voice that each.
PAMF's teen Web site, "We're Talking," will provide comprehensive health information and answers to specific questions for Bay Area teens. The information will be straightforward, clear, understandable, medically accurate and up-to-date.
"We're Talking" will also serve as a resource for parents who want help in talking with their teens about sensitive issues, and for high school teachers who want to integrate health information into their classroom curriculum.
We will do this by providing the following:
- Rigorously reviewed, thorough and complete health information on topics of current interest and concern to teens.
- Interactive activities to help teens assess, manage and reduce their health risks and concerns.
- Teaching materials to be used by teachers interested in teen health issues.
- A robust set of resources, content and references for parents who want to help their teens with health care decisions.
Values and Assumptions
We will approach development of content for the Web site with the following underlying values and assumptions.
- We believe in the intelligence of our readers.
- We care about the physical and emotional health and safety of our readers.
- We try to address both physical and emotional health aspects of all topics.
- We are aware of the spectrum of teen behavior -- from "abstainers" to "heavy risk takers."
- We try to include all points of view and balance our coverage of issues.
- We use vocabulary that teens can understand and relate to (which may include current slang).
- We assume that teens are in a consensual, comfortable relationship and that there is good communication between partners, when addressing sexual issues and questions.
Ask The Expert
For over 10 years teens have been asking us questions on every topic imaginable. While we are no longer taking new questions, we invite you to search and browse the many frequently asked questions that we have received from teenagers like yourself.
Last reviewed October 2012