Online Safety Pledge
- I won't give others my personal information – such as my full name, address, telephone number, or my school name.
- I won't send a photo of myself (or of my family or friends) to someone I meet online without getting a parent's permission first.
- I won't make hurtful or threatening remarks to people I communicate with online.
- I won't claim to be someone I'm not, either by accessing some else's screen name and password or pretending to be someone else online.
- I will never give out my password. If someone accidentally discovers my password, I'll immediately change it.
- I won't respond to any messages that are threatening to me, my family, or my friends. If I receive such messages, I'll contact my online service provider immediately or ask a parent to do so.
- I will only meet with someone I communicate with online if I have parental permission and the meeting is in a public place with my parent with me.
- A parent and I will determine rules for going online, including when and how long I can be online, as well as sites or chat rooms I can visit.
My Signature Date
Guardian's Signature Date
Excerpted from Too Old for This, Too Young for That! by Harriet S. Mosatche, Ph.D., and Karen Unger, M.A. © 2000. Used with permission from Free Spirit Publishing Inc., Minneapolis, MN; 1-866-703-7322; www.freespirit.com . All rights reserved.
For More Information: See our Computer Safety article.
Reviewed by: Adolescent Interest Group
Last reviewed: August 2013