Bullies just seem to exist everywhere. A bully is anyone who appears to feel powerful when they hurt or pick on someone else. They do not need a reason, just a target, or victim. If you are a target or a bully, there are a few things you can do:
- Avoid the bully whenever possible.
- Walk or run away from the bully.
- Ask your friends to stick close. It is harder to pick on someone when they have friends standing up for them.
- Ask an adult (parent, teacher or counselor) for help.
- Be assertive. Tell the bully to stop bothering you, that you do not like it and will report the abuse if it continues.
- Find an adult to help ASAP.
- Encourage your friends to be assertive and tell the bully that his or her behavior is unacceptable.
- If you are the one doing the bullying, STOP! You do not have the right to make others feel bad, to threaten people to tease people, or to cause other people harm.