General Nutrition Summary
Here are some key pointers about general eating and fitness and overall health:
- Breakfast is the most important meal of the day -- it gives you energy for the rest of the day, gets you started and keeps you going until lunchtime
- Don't eat much fast food and junk food -- it is high fat and high in calories and has little nutritional value (it's not very good for you or your body)
- Try to drink at least eight glasses of water each day
- Eat whole grains instead of white flour
- Eat brown rice instead of white rice
- Eat/drink lots of calcium -- Low-fat and nonfat dairy products, green, leafy vegetables, tofu, broccoli, chickpeas, lentils, canned sardines and salmon are good sources of calcium (more information on calcium at Powerful Bones)
Back to top
Reviewed by the Web Content Committee of PAMF
FAQs about Obesity in Children, U.S. Centers for Disease Control, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion.
Nutrition and Fitness, Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
Vegetarianism in Teens, Katie Ransohoff, PAMF.