Most families remember and celebrate life-changing events every year at the same time. These celebrations can be simple or complex, and happy or sad. The important thing is ritualizing the transitions (changes in life) and celebrating in your own unique way.
There are many happy celebrations that families gather to celebrate, such as those listed below.
- This might be a promotion to a new job or celebrating a graduation.
- These might be anniversaries of a relationship or living in the same house for five or ten years.
- Many adults celebrate their wedding anniversaries or the day they first met.
- New houses
- Some people have a house warming party when they first move in to a new home.
- Your birthday is an annual celebration too!
- Pet birthdays
- Even if you don't know the exact day the pet was born, it is fun to choose a day and make it an annual celebration.
While celebrating a fun event may seem more enjoyable than celebrating a sad event, it is important to remember everything and celebrate appropriately. Listed below are a few sad events some families like to remember.
- Every year, it is important to honor those who are not with us anymore. Some families choose to honor the person's birthday or the day they died. It is common to display a picture of the loved one or light a candle.
- Some people are sad when they move to a new city if they have to leave their friends behind. Remembering the moving day each year can be a great way to reconnect with old friends.
Author: Julia Ransohoff, high school student writer