When you've got nothing to do and no one to play with, you probably feel like going up to someone and telling them how bored you are. Next time you find yourself about to say this, stop yourself, and think about the following:
Being bored is a privilege. It used to be that only the extremely wealthy could afford to be bored because they were not working. But today, we don't like being bored if we get the chance. So next time you are bored, sit down, relax and enjoy it.
Today, many kids have tons of activities after school and during the summer. Some go straight from soccer practice to swimming to piano to dinner to basketball. You should feel lucky that you have time to be bored!
Still want something to do? There are lots of activities you can try -- and they won't annoy the grown-ups around you! For starters, turn off the TV. While TV can be relaxing, it can actually make you more bored if you're just zoning out watching programs that don't teach you anything. So turn off the TV (link to turn off TV article) and try one of these:
- Read a book: Find a quiet space where no one will bother you and settle down with a good book. It can keep you busy for hours
- Use the computer: E-mail your friends or play games
- Talk on the phone: Call up your best friend or a favorite relative to see what's going on in their life.
- Go outside: Sitting inside all day can be no fun! Ask a grown-up if you can go outside to run around, ride a bike, draw with chalk on the sidewalk or other fun activities. If you're friends with other kids in your neighborhood, see if they want to join you.
- Play sports: Whether you're on a team or by yourself, sports are a great way to focus your energy.
- Cook dinner for your family: Look through cookbooks and pick out a favorite dish or two. Surprise someone in your family with a special meal just for them…maybe they'll even return the favor one day! Make sure to ask an older sibling or grown-up to help you in the kitchen.
- Instead of telling your parents you're bored, ask if they want to go out and spend time with you. They will feel appreciated!
- Have a lemonade stand: This is a great way to get rid of boredom while earning a little money for yourself.
- Invite your friend over: Everything is less boring when you're with another person. Your family doesn't have to entertain you and spending time with friends is fun.
Of course, before you do anything of these things, make sure all of your homework is done and that there is no way you could get ahead in your homework. Do tomorrow night's math homework now if you can, so you have more time to relax later.
Being bored doesn't have to be boring. If you look at it the right way, it can be a lot of fun!