Cooking as a Hobby
Have you ever watched a cooking show on TV? Or watched the chefs cook at your favorite restaurant? They all seem so good, and you may want to be just like them, but remember, everyone has to start somewhere. Those professionals were not always that good, but with practice, you can work up to their skill level.
Safety Tips for Getting Started:
- Always ask your parents if you can cook before getting started.
- Make sure you know about being safe in the kitchen.
- Tie your hair back in a ponytail if you have long hair to keep it out of the food and to prevent fire (link to fire safety article).
- There are recipes made just for kids that are great to start with because they are simple and easy to prepare.
- Read it through first to make sure you have enough time to prepare your recipe or whether there is something you need help with.
- Check to see that you have all of the ingredients and utensils you will need.
- There are recipes everywhere, even on this Web site!
Whether you are making an entire meal or just an after-school snack, cooking can be fun and yummy!
Clever, Jennifer. "Take a Look at Cooking." KidsHealth.org.