Reading as a Hobby, or Maybe More
Do you know someone who loves reading, and considers it an important part of life? As we get older and school gets more intense, we read for pleasure less. There are school clubs, sports, classes, homework, working, and more. It's hard to fit everything in.
I decided to ask my school mates, how much time they spend reading for fun, and what they read. I defined "fun" reading as anything that is not required for a class or school. Below are the responses, from people in grades 6 through 12, on how much they read, on average, in a week.
When asked how much they read in a week on average, there were several different replies.
- Annie (grade 7): "I read about one book, every two weeks, sometimes one book per week."
- Theresa, (grade 11) gave the somewhat shocking answer that she reads four to ten books per week.
- Anne (grade 10) says that she reads about half an hour a day, at least.
- Ana (grade 10): "I love fantasy books, the Twilight series, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Ann Rice books, Memoirs of a Geisha, I don't get stuck in a certain genre. I enjoy mysteries, if they aren't corny. Poetry is fun to a point."
- Annie (grade 7) enjoys reading romance, comedy, and adventure.
- Teresa (grade 7) enjoys manga, adventure novels, and whatever else she can either buy or borrow.
Sarah (grade 6) said that she will "go to bed, and then read with a flashlight either until 10 PM or the flashlight dies."
Reading a book can help you unwind from the day. Diving into a book after a long stressful day, and following Harry Potter on the quest for the horcruxes, or floating through space inside a spaceship is a nice way to relieve stress. Take a little time to focus on something outside of your daily life. It will help you relax and start the next day a little more relaxed.
Back to top