Caramel Apple Cake
From Nancy Brown’s Kitchen
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
1 ½ cups olive oil (or butter)
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg
½ teaspoon salt
5 Granny Smith or Golden Delicious apples (cored, peeled and cut in ½ inch pieces)
1 ¼ cups chopped pecans or walnuts
2 ¼ teaspoons vanilla extract
4 tablespoons butter
¼ cup granulated sugar
¼ cup brown sugar
Pinch of salt
½ cup heavy cream
1. Preheat over to 325 degrees.
2. Butter and flour a 9 x 13 inch pan.
Make the cake
3. Beat the sugars into the oil (or butter) in a mixing bowl until very well blended.
4. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after adding each one.
5. Sift together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
6. Gradually add it to the sugar mixture, mixing just until blended.
7. Stir in the apples, nuts and vanilla.
8. Pour into your prepared pan.
9. Bake for 50 – 75 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
10. Let it cool while preparing the glaze.
Prepare the glaze
11. Melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat.
12. Stir in both sugars and slat.
13. Cook over medium-low heat for 2 minutes.
14. Add cream and boil for two minutes, stirring constantly.
15. Poke holes in the cake with a skewer or toothpick and pour on the glaze.
16. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Hint: You can top with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream – or serve plain.