Healthy Chocolate Fruit and Veggie Bars
- 6 tablespoons pureed white kidney beans (just trust me here)
- 5 ounces good quality dark chocolate chopped (not unsweetened) or ¾ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1½ cups baby spinach leaves
- ¾ cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- ¼ teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 to 2 tablespoon water
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoon unbleached white flour
- 2 tablespoon whole-wheat flour
- 2 tablespoon wheat germ
- ¼ cup oat bran/oat flour
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee powder
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- Optional: 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease the sides of a 9-by-9-inch square baking pan.
- Melt the dark chocolate in the microwave, remove from heat, then combine with pureed beans and allow to cool. Meanwhile, puree the baby spinach, blueberries, lemon juice and water in a food processor.
- In another bowl, combine the eggs, vanilla, applesauce, honey and the spinach/blueberry puree you just made. Add the cooled chocolate bean mixture.
- Stir together all the remaining ingredients, then add to the chocolate mixture and mix well. Add the walnuts, if using.
- Pour the mixture into the greased baking pan and bake for 30 to 35 minutes. Allow to cool, and then enjoy!
Back to top