Vegetarian Minestrone Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 med. zucchini, diced
- 1 med. yellow quash, diced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 c. green beans, fresh or frozen
- 1 tsp. dried basil leaves
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf (remove at end of cooking)
- 1 can cannellini beans, drained
- 1 can (28 ounce) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2/3 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add chopped onion and garlic, sauté for four minutes or until just lightly browned.
- Add broth, zucchini, squash, carrots, celery, green beans, basil, oregano, salt, pepper, bay leaf, cannellini beans and tomatoes.
- Bring to boil
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer on medium-low heat for two to three hours, stirring occasionally.
- Add macaroni, cover and cook an additional 10 minutes
- Garnish with parmesan cheese.