Interventional pulmonology is a noninvasive way to diagnose and treat lung disorders. This includes lung cancer, emphysema, benign airway disorders and pleural diseases. The Interventional Pulmonology program at the Palo Alto Medical Foundation Mountain View Center is the only one on the West Coast offering 26 diagnostic and therapeutic procedures.
Our interventional pulmonologists collaborate with doctors in Radiation Oncology, Thoracic Surgery and Medical Oncology, and offer our patients cutting-edge noninvasive procedures.
Director of the interventional Pulmonary Fellowship Program, in collaboration with UCSF and El Camino Hospital, Ganesh Krishna, M.D., is among a few doctors in the United States who are experts in the inReach electromagnetic navigation bronchoscopy system.
Interventional Pulmonology Articles
Read the following articles by Dr. Krishna for more information on Interventional Pulmonology:
- "Minimally invasive techniques for the diagnosis of peripheral pulmonary nodules," by Ganesh Krishna, M.D., FCCP and Michael K.
Gould, M.D. Current Opinions in Pulmonary Medicine.
- "Transbronchial Cryobiopsy: A New Tool for Lung Biopsies," by Alexander Babiaka, Jürgen Hetzelb, Ganesh Krishna, Peter Fritzc, Peter Moellerd, Tahsin Ballia, Martin Hetzela. Respiration Internation Journal of Thoracic Medicine.
One of Dr. Krishna’s interests includes looking for novel ways to improve the diagnosis and treatment of patients with pulmonary diseases by studying the safety and effectiveness of medical devices intended for human use.
In partnership with PAMF Research Institute, Fogarty Clinical Research and El Camino Hospital, Dr. Krishna is the principal investigator for the RENEW Lung Volume Reduction Coil study in patients with severe emphysema.
Emphysema is a chronic, irreversible disease that causes damage to lung tissue causing shortness of breath, reduced exercise capacity and ability to manage activities of daily living. Enrollment is still open.
For more information, read about the RENEW Clinical Trial—Evaluating a Treatment for Patients with Emphysema.
Back to top
- Read how Dr. Krishna greatly improved Gary Cogger's breathing using bronchial thermoplasty.
- Joan Hinckley is grateful Dr. Krishna could biopsy her lungs noninvasively.
- Dr. Krishna helped Alisen Kona get her breath, and her energy, back.
- Read Interventional Pulmonology patient Carol Thorington's story.
Healthwise Articles: Lungs & Breathing
Mountain View Center
701 E. El Camino Real
Mountain View, CA 94040
Department phone: (650) 934-7144