Patient Education and Support
A strong commitment to patient education has always been one of PAMF's hallmarks. The Radiation Oncology Department maintains a small library of books and educational videos that may be checked out, as well as a number of free pamphlets on cancer-related topics. Patients also can take advantage of PAMF's Community Health Resource Center, located on Level 2 of the Palo Alto Center. The center is staffed by a registered nurse educator and trained volunteers who can help visitors gather appropriate information from numerous multimedia sources, including books, videos, computer databases and the Internet.
In addition, the Radiation Oncology Department offers a number of online educational resources on this Web site:
- Articles on cancer from Web sites maintained by other cancer-focused organizations provide good information about the disease and its treatment. These sites are reviewed and endorsed by PAMF physicians.
- PAMF's prostate cancer resources page offers an overview of treatment options, answers to common questions, links to other high-quality Web sites and a list of prostate-cancer support groups in the Bay Area.
Back to top
PAMF's Education Division offers regular support groups for patients with cancer and their caregivers, including the following:
- Cancer: This therapist-led group, which includes both individuals with cancer and their adult family members and friends, provides a safe place to discuss feelings and concerns about cancer and its treatment. Offered twice monthly.
- Healing Imagery for Cancer Patients: A medical hypnotherapist teaches healing imagery and meditation techniques to help patients manage stress and side effects of treatment. Intended for anyone with cancer, from the newly diagnosed to those with recurrent or metastatic disease, as well as family members. Held approximately twice a month.
- Brain Tumor: Once monthly, a speaker from the National Brain Tumor Foundation provides information, education and support to patients and their caregivers.
Back to top