Research Institute Researchers
Because the Palo Alto Medical Foundation's Research Institute (PAMFRI) offers the unique combination of a well-established and renowned scientific institution within one of the nation's oldest primary and specialty care medical groups, it attracts a wide variety of researchers seeking to examine a broad spectrum of conditions and solutions in real-world settings.
We have three groups of investigators submitting new proposals through PAMFRI: faculty, professional researchers, and PAMF/Sutter investigators. Those in the first two groups are PAMFRI employees. Those in the third work for other entities. Our faculty (scientists) have responsibilities for both obtaining external support as well as teaching and mentoring post doctoral fellows and others.
Our professional researchers typically work with a faculty member, sometimes submitting their own projects. Professional researchers have the research skills necessary to design and execute a study and serve as principal investigator on projects. PAMF/Sutter investigators are primarily working in other divisions, e.g. education, providing clinical care, or are in other Sutter Health units, but pursue some research through PAMFRI.
For various clinical studies a PAMF physician servers as the local PI, but usually does not have the responsibility for designing the study. See current clinical studies.
- Sukyung Chung, Ph.D., Assistant Scientist
- Dorothy Hung, Ph.D., M.A., MPH, Assistant Scientist
- Jun Ma, M.D., Ph.D., Associate Scientist
- Latha Palaniappan, M.D., M.S., Associate Scientist, Medical Director, Clinical Research
- Ming Tai-Seale, Ph.D., MPH, Senior Scientist
- Sandra R. Wilson, Ph.D., Senior Scientist
- Nancy Brown, Ph.D., PAMF Scientist, Education Division
- Walter "Buzz" Stewart, M.D., Ph.D.
- Joshua Liberman, Ph.D.
- Albert Chan, M.D.
- Kristen M.J. Azar, RN, BSN, MSN/MPH, Assistant Nurse Researcher
- Daniel Fulford, Ph.D., Research Psychologist
- Meghan Halley, Ph.D., Assistant Research Anthropologist
- Sarah Knowles, Ph.D., MPH, Research Epidemiologist
- Lenard Lesser, M.D., MSHS, Assistant Research Physician
- Su-Ying Liang, Ph.D., Research Economist
- Peter McNair, Ph.D., MPH, MHS, Clinical Epidemiologist
- Laura Panattoni, Ph.D., Research Economist
- Robert Romanelli, Ph.D., MPH, Professional Researcher
- Lan Xiao, Ph.D., Research Biostatistician