The 3 Rs at School
Make the 3 Rs part of your school routine. Here are some easy ways you can improve your environmental footprint at school.
Reduce and Reuse
A No-Waste Lunch
Did you know that if you pack a disposable lunch, you can create as much as 100 pounds of garbage per year, just from your lunch? Pack a no-waste lunch for school with these tips:
- Use a lunch box or reusable sack.
- Pack a cloth napkin and reusable utensils.
- Put food in reusable food and drink containers.
- If you must use a disposable plastic bag, wash it out and keep reusing it.
- If you can't take reusable utensils, try using biodegradable ones like potato forks. These utensils don't sit in landfills, they decompose back into the ground.
- Purchase your snacks in bulk size and repack into individual reusable containers.
- Pack fresh fruit, since it doesn't require any additional packaging.
Reduce your waste by reusing your school supplies from year to year. Recycling is also about using what you have.
Back to top
Does your school recycle? Do they recycle paper, bottles and cans? Does your cafeteria compost? Ask your teachers or principal about starting a recycling program. Better yet—get your friends or student government involved and campaign for a "greener" school!
Back to top
College student writer