Yoga has many physical, mental and spiritual benefits. Yoga teaches breathing techniques and meditation to reduce stress and anxiety. Often, yoga is recommended for those who have trouble sleeping because of its calming affects. Mentally, yoga can help you center your mind. This is a useful tool if you have trouble concentrating at work or school. Physically, specific yoga practices help strengthen and tone your body.
Though NOT a religion, yoga practices are often incorporated into Hinduism and Buddhism. Mantras, or chants, are part of certain yoga practices and are used to aid people spiritually. Choosing a type of yoga depends on your interests and/or what you are look to accomplish.
- Increases flexibility
- Strengthens muscles and bones
- Improves posture
- Improves balance
- Stress management - provides techniques to redirect thoughts and calm the nervous system
- Increases concentration
- Increases curiosity over your own body and improves body image through self-knowledge and exploration
- Interconnectedness within yourself, others and the natural world
- Heightens awareness and emotional connection
- Increases self-trusting through valuing one's inner voice
Special thanks to Cindy Stack-Keer for reviewing this content
'Dr. Funshine' prescribes laughter yoga for seniors, Health News from Reuters
The Eight Main Yogas, YogaWorld.com
Yoga for Individuals with Disabilities, The National Center on Physical Activity and Disabilities