Peripheral Arterial Disease of the Legs
When to Call a Doctor
Call your doctor immediately if you suddenly have severe leg pain; numbness; or pale, blue-black skin.
Call your doctor if you have:
- Leg pain that begins after you walk a certain distance and that goes away when you rest (Reference intermittent claudication Opens New Window).
- Foot or toe pain when you are resting.
Who to see
Health professionals who may be involved in the diagnosis and treatment of peripheral arterial disease (PAD) include:
- Reference Family medicine doctor Opens New Window.
- Reference Internal medicine doctor Opens New Window (internist).
- Reference Cardiologist Opens New Window.
- Reference Vascular surgeon Opens New Window.
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: Reference May 17, 2012|
|Medical Review:||Reference Rakesh K. Pai, MD, FACC - Cardiology, Electrophysiology
Reference David A. Szalay, MD - Vascular Surgery