Animal and Human Bites
Preparing For Your Appointment
To prepare for your appointment, see the topic Reference Making the Most of Your Appointment.
Questions to prepare for your appointment
You can help your doctor diagnose and treat your condition by being prepared to answer the following questions:
- When did the bite occur?
- Where were you when the bite occurred?
- How did the bite occur? Describe what happened.
- Were you bitten by a domestic pet or a wild animal?
- Do you know the animal, or was it a stray?
- Was the animal acting strangely?
- Is the animal safely secured?
- Have you notified your local animal control department?
- Was the bite provoked?
- What are your main symptoms?
- What home treatment measures have you tried? Did they help? Be sure to include any nonprescription medicines you have taken or used. Did they help?
- When was your last Reference tetanus shot?
- Do you have any Reference health risks?
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: Reference June 6, 2012|
|Medical Review:||Reference William H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine
Reference H. Michael O'Connor, MD - Emergency Medicine