Rh Sensitization During Pregnancy
When To Call a Doctor
If you are already Rh-sensitized and are pregnant
Your pregnancy will be closely monitored. Discuss possible symptoms early in pregnancy with your doctor. Repeated diagnostic testing will be needed to watch the fetus.
Call your doctor immediately if you note a decrease in your fetus's movement after 24 to 26 weeks of pregnancy.
If you are Rh-negative
Call your doctor immediately if you:
- Think you may have been pregnant and miscarried.
- Are pregnant and have had an accident that may have injured your abdomen.
Who to see
A woman who may have problems with Reference Rh incompatibility Opens New Window or sensitization can be treated by:
- A Reference family medicine doctor Opens New Window, for mild fetal Rh disease.
- An Reference obstetrician Opens New Window, for mild to moderate Rh disease.
- A Reference perinatologist Opens New Window, for moderate to severe fetal Rh disease (Reference hydrops Opens New Window).
If you test positive for Rh sensitization, your health care system or health professional may want you to be followed and treated by a perinatologist or an obstetrician who can easily call in a perinatologist.
To prepare for your appointment, see the topic Reference Making the Most of Your Appointment.
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: Reference October 20, 2011|
|Medical Review:||Reference Sarah Marshall, MD - Family Medicine
Reference William Gilbert, MD - Maternal and Fetal Medicine