Functional Ovarian Cysts
Home treatment can help relieve the discomfort of functional ovarian cysts.
- Use heat, such as a hot water bottle, heating pad, or warm bath, to relax tense muscles and relieve cramping. Be careful not to burn yourself.
- Use pain relievers you can get over-the-counter. Acetaminophen (such as Tylenol), nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) (such as Advil or Aleve), and aspirin (such as Bayer) are all pain medicines you can buy without a prescription.
- Herbal teas, such as chamomile, mint, raspberry, and blackberry, may help soothe tense muscles and anxious moods.
- Empty your bladder as soon as you have the urge to urinate.
- Avoid constipation. Constipation does not cause or treat ovarian cysts but may further increase your pelvic discomfort. For more information, see the topic Reference Constipation, Age 12 and Older.
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: Reference October 8, 2012|
|Medical Review:||Reference Sarah Marshall, MD - Family Medicine
Reference Kirtly Jones, MD - Obstetrics and Gynecology