Other Conditions With Symptoms Similar to Celiac Disease
Conditions that may cause symptoms that resemble those of Reference celiac disease Opens New Window include:
- Reference Food intolerance Opens New Window.
- Reference Colic Opens New Window.
- Reference Cystic fibrosis Opens New Window.
- Reference Crohn's disease Opens New Window.
- Reference Irritable bowel syndrome Opens New Window.
- A parasitic infection of the intestine, such as Reference giardiasis Opens New Window.
- Some forms of colitis.
- Non-celiac gluten insensitivity.
Some health conditions seem to be more common in people who have celiac disease than in those who do not, although the exact cause-and-effect relationship is unclear. These conditions include:
- Reference Dermatitis herpetiformis Opens New Window (more common in adults but can occur in children).
- Reference Osteoporosis Opens New Window.
- Reference Type 1 diabetes Opens New Window (insulin-dependent).
- Reference Autoimmune Opens New Window thyroid disease.
- Reference Down syndrome Opens New Window.
- Selective Reference antibody Opens New Window deficiency (IgA).
- Reference Sjögren's syndrome Opens New Window.
- Reference Iron deficiency anemia Opens New Window or Reference folic acid deficiency anemia Opens New Window.
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: May 29, 2012|
|Medical Review:||Reference E. Gregory Thompson, MD - Internal Medicine
Reference Jerry S. Trier, MD - Gastroenterology