Why It Is Done
Paracentesis may be done to:
- Find the cause of fluid buildup in the belly.
- Diagnose an infection in the peritoneal fluid.
- Check for certain types of cancer, such as liver cancer.
- Remove a large amount of fluid that is causing pain or trouble breathing or that is affecting how the kidneys or the intestines (bowel) are working.
- Check for damage after a belly injury.
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: Reference January 17, 2012|
|Medical Review:||Reference Adam Husney, MD - Family Medicine
Reference W. Thomas London, MD - Hepatology