Bowel Transit Time
What Affects the Test
You may have an abnormal bowel transit time if you:
- Have an infection in your intestines.
- Do not drink enough fluids (Reference dehydration Opens New Window).
- Have a disease, such as a narrowing (stricture) in your intestine, an underactive thyroid gland (Reference hypothyroidism Opens New Window), Reference diabetes Opens New Window, or Reference Hirschsprung's disease Opens New Window.
- Are eating less than you usually do or you are eating different kinds of food than usual.
- Take medicines, such as cold medicines, iron, or medicine used to control blood pressure and pain.
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: Reference March 7, 2012|
|Medical Review:||Reference Adam Husney, MD - Family Medicine
Reference Jerome B. Simon, MD, FRCPC, FACP - Gastroenterology