Sodium (Na) in Blood
How It Is Done
The health professional drawing blood will:
- Wrap an elastic band around your upper arm to stop the flow of blood. This makes the veins below the band larger so it is easier to put a needle into the vein.
- Clean the needle site with alcohol.
- Put the needle into the vein. More than one needle stick may be needed.
- Attach a tube to the needle to fill it with blood.
- Remove the band from your arm when enough blood is collected.
- Put a gauze pad or cotton ball over the needle site as the needle is removed.
- Put pressure to the site and then a bandage.
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: Reference September 4, 2012|
|Medical Review:||Reference Adam Husney, MD - Family Medicine
Reference Avery L. Seifert, MD - Urology