How To Prepare
To prepare for an esophagus test:
- Do not take antacids (such as Tums or Rolaids) for 24 hours before the test.
- Follow your doctors instructions for using other acid reducers or blockers, such as famotidine (Pepcid) or omeprazole (Prilosec), before the test.
- Do not drink alcohol or smoke for 24 hours before the test.
- Do not eat or drink for 8 to 12 hours before testing.
- Tell your doctor if you have any other problems, such as enlarged esophageal blood vessels (esophageal varices), Reference heart failure Opens New Window, or other heart conditions.
Talk to your doctor about any concerns you have regarding the need for the test, its risks, how it will be done, or what the results may mean. To help you understand the importance of this test, fill out the medical test information form (What is a Reference PDF Opens New Window document?).
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: Reference April 25, 2011|
|Medical Review:||Reference Kathleen Romito, MD - Family Medicine
Reference Jerome B. Simon, MD, FRCPC, FACP - Gastroenterology