Pinworm infections are usually caused by swallowing the eggs of the pinworm (Enterobius vermicularis) after coming in contact with an infected person or with an object that has eggs on its surface. Infection can also be spread when a person inhales airborne eggs, but this is rare. It's also rare for pinworms to spread to people in a swimming pool.
In some cases, pinworm infection persists because eggs hatch outside the anus and the young worms crawl back inside the body.
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: Reference August 30, 2012|
|Medical Review:||Reference John Pope, MD - Pediatrics
Reference Susan C. Kim, MD - Pediatrics