Medical History and Physical Exam for Scoliosis
A medical history for Reference scoliosis Opens New Window includes gathering information about:
- Age at first menstrual period.
- Family history of scoliosis.
- General health disorders.
- The presence of heart or urinary tract problems at birth.
- Past severe illnesses, operations, or injuries.
A physical exam to diagnose scoliosis includes:
- Visually examining the back in several positions (such as standing straight and bending over).
- Checking for birthmarks or other skin problems.
- Examining the function of the brain and spinal cord and muscle strength.
- Measuring height and weight.
- Measuring leg lengths.
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: July 21, 2011|
|Medical Review:||Reference John Pope, MD - Pediatrics
Reference Robert B. Keller, MD - Orthopedics