Shock means that your body and its functions are shutting down. The body goes into shock when it can't get enough blood to the Reference vital organs Opens New Window Reference Opens New Window like your heart or brain. This may be caused by a sudden illness, an injury, or bleeding. Sometimes even a mild injury will lead to shock.
Shock is a life-threatening condition. If a person develops signs of shock, call 911 or other emergency services and begin home treatment immediately.
Signs of shock include:
- Passing out (losing consciousness).
- Feeling very dizzy or lightheaded, like you may pass out. A child may be very sleepy or hard to wake up.
- Breathing fast even at rest.
- Feeling very weak or having trouble standing up.
- Being less alert. You may suddenly be unable to respond to questions, or you may be confused, restless, or fearful. A child may not know who people are or where he or she is.
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: Reference March 20, 2012|
|Medical Review:||Reference William H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine
Reference David Messenger, MD