Other Home Treatment Measures for a First-Degree Burn or Sunburn
There is no evidence-based research to support the safety and effectiveness of the following home treatment measures, but they may help relieve your burn symptoms.
- Soak a washcloth in water to make a cool compress.
- Add oatmeal [0.5 cup (120 mL)] or baking soda to a cool water bath.
- Use a moisturizer or light powder to smooth areas where skin rubs against skin to prevent chafing.
- Use calamine lotion for itching.
- Cut a raw potato and spread the juice on the burned skin.
- Use chamomile diluted in warm water or brewed into a tea to sponge on the burned skin.
- Add 2 to 3 drops of lavender essential oil to 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil to smooth over the burned skin.
Avoid breaking open any blisters, and watch for any Reference signs of a skin infection Opens New Window while using home treatment measures.
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: Reference September 1, 2011|
|Medical Review:||Reference William H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine
Reference H. Michael O'Connor, MD - Emergency Medicine