Possible serious side effects of gemcitabine include:
- Allergic reactions. Signs of allergic reaction can include trouble breathing; swelling or closing of the throat; swollen face, tongue, or lips; or hives.
- Low blood counts, which may increase the risk of infection and bleeding.
- Feeling extremely tired, bruising or bleeding easily, or signs of infection such as a fever or chills. These symptoms may mean that the medicine caused the numbers of your white or red blood cells or platelets to drop.
- Severe nausea and vomiting.
- Severe diarrhea.
- Blood in the urine or rarely needing to urinate.
Less serious side effects are more common and may include:
- Fever and flu-like symptoms.
- Mouth sores (stomatitis).
- Nausea, vomiting, and loss of appetite.
- Hair loss. This is reversible, and hair will grow back when treatment ends.
See Drug Reference for a full list of side effects. (Drug Reference is not available in all systems.)
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: March 5, 2012|
|Medical Review:||Reference E. Gregory Thompson, MD - Internal Medicine
Reference Joseph O'Donnell, MD - Hematology, Oncology