Who Is Affected by Depression
Reference Depression Opens New Window affects people of all ages, races, and socioeconomic backgrounds. Young children and older adults are increasingly being diagnosed with depression.
- The National Mental Health Association estimates approximately 19 million Americans suffer from depression.
- Depression affects twice as many females as males.
- Depression most commonly begins between ages 20 and 45 but can develop at any age.
- Depression tends to run in families.
- Depression often occurs with other illnesses, such as diabetes, heart conditions, and other chronic health problems.
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: January 12, 2011|
|Medical Review:||Reference Kathleen Romito, MD - Family Medicine
Reference Lisa S. Weinstock, MD - Psychiatry