Types of Outpatient Services
More and more medical procedures are being offered in qualified outpatient service centers.
Reference Outpatient services Opens New Window are offered in many settings. For instance, medical schools often provide various types of outpatient services, such as pain clinics or rehabilitation centers. Other types of outpatient facilities include:
- Medical group practices.
- Outpatient clinics at hospitals or other medical facilities.
- Surgery centers.
- Imaging centers.
- Reference Cardiac catheterization Opens New Window centers.
- Mental or behavioral health centers, which may provide substance abuse treatment services and mental health services for adults or children.
- Lab centers.
- Gastrointestinal centers, which may provide screening or other services such as Reference colonoscopy Opens New Window and Reference endoscopy Opens New Window.
- Durable medical equipment rental facilities.
- Physical therapy centers.
- Reference Chemotherapy Opens New Window and Reference radiation therapy Opens New Window centers.
Many outpatient service centers specialize in a specific area of medicine, such as orthopedics (bones) or cardiology (heart). These centers, like many hospitals, have advanced equipment and highly trained staff.
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: Reference October 27, 2011|
|Medical Review:||Reference Anne C. Poinier, MD - Internal Medicine
Reference Michel M. Murr, MD - General Surgery, Bariatric Surgery