Prevent Chemical Burns in Young Children
Chemical burns need evaluation and treatment. Call the Poison Control Center at 800-222-1222 for specific treatment for a chemical burn. Have the product container with you when you call.
Burns can result from contact with a solid, powdered, or liquid chemical. A chemical burn may be serious because of the action of the corrosive or irritating chemicals on the skin. A chemical burn on the skin is often deeper and larger than it may first appear. Chemical fumes and vapors can also irritate or damage the body, especially the skin, lungs, and eyes. A swallowed chemical may be poisonous or may cause burning in the throat and Reference esophagus Opens New Window.
Help protect young children from chemical burns by keeping the following types of items completely out of reach:
- Toilet cleaners
- Battery acid
- Lime products
- Plaster and mortar
- Oven and drain cleaners
- Sparks from "sparklers"
If your children use battery-operated toys, make sure the batteries are in protective casings that require assistance from an adult to open (such as casings secured with screws).
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: November 30, 2010|
|Medical Review:||Reference Susan C. Kim, MD - Pediatrics
Reference Thomas Emmett Francoeur, MDCM, CSPQ, FRCPC - Pediatrics