Signs That Your Baby Is Hungry
Doctors and lactation specialists recommend feeding your baby whenever he or she is hungry (on demand). As you first start breast-feeding, you may wonder how you will know if your baby is hungry.
Signs that your baby is hungry include:
- Putting his or her hands in or near the mouth.
- Sucking on his or her hands, lips, or clothing.
- Moving his or her head from side to side or facing toward something as if to try to breast-feed (rooting).
- Nuzzling mom or squirming around as if to try to find the breast.
- Moving the tongue in and out of his or her mouth.
- Getting fussy and crying.
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: April 14, 2011|
|Medical Review:||Reference Sarah Marshall, MD - Family Medicine
Reference Kirtly Jones, MD - Obstetrics and Gynecology