When To Call a Doctor
Call your doctor immediately if you have severe belly (abdominal) Reference pain Opens New Window with vomiting that does not go away after a few hours, or mild to moderate pain that does not improve with home treatment after a couple of days. These symptoms may be caused by pancreatitis.
Pancreatitis can be a severe, potentially life-threatening illness. It is not appropriate to take a wait-and-see approach, which is called watchful waiting, if you have severe pain in the Reference upper area Opens New Window Reference Opens New Window of the abdomen that does not go away in a few hours.
Who to see
The following health professionals can diagnose and treat pancreatitis:
- Reference Family medicine physician Opens New Window
- Reference Internist Opens New Window
- Reference Gastroenterologist Opens New Window (specialist in diseases of the digestive system)
- Reference Nurse practitioner Opens New Window
- Reference Physician assistant Opens New Window
- Reference Surgeon Opens New Window
To prepare for your appointment, see the topic Reference Making the Most of Your Appointment.
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: Reference October 31, 2011|
|Medical Review:||Reference Kathleen Romito, MD - Family Medicine
Reference Peter J. Kahrilas, MD - Gastroenterology