Facial Problems, Noninjury
The following home treatment measures may help prevent Reference sinusitis Opens New Window:
- Use a Reference humidifier Opens New Window to keep the air in your home moist.
- Treat colds promptly. Blow your nose gently. Do not close one nostril when blowing your nose.
- Drink extra fluids when you have a cold. This helps keep mucus thin and draining.
- Do not drink alcohol. It makes the tissues lining your nose and sinuses swell up.
- Do not smoke or use other tobacco products. Smokers are more prone to sinusitis. Also, avoid Reference secondhand smoke Opens New Window. For more information, see the topic Reference Quitting Smoking.
- Use a Reference decongestant nasal spray before or during airplane flights, especially during landing.
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: Reference April 14, 2011|
|Medical Review:||Reference William H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine
Reference David Messenger, MD