Nicotinic Acid for High Cholesterol
Why It Is Used
Nicotinic acid is especially useful in people who have low HDL levels and high triglyceride levels, because it raises HDL and lowers triglycerides. Niacin may not be appropriate for some people who have:
- Reference Gout Opens New Window.
- Active stomach ulcer.
- Oversensitivity to niacin.
- Reference Glaucoma Opens New Window.
- Reference Type 2 diabetes Opens New Window and do not have their blood sugar levels controlled.
- Clotting disorders, such as Reference hemophilia Opens New Window.
- Active liver disease.
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: June 29, 2012|
|Medical Review:||Reference Kathleen Romito, MD - Family Medicine
Reference Robert A. Kloner, MD, PhD - Cardiology
Reference Rakesh K. Pai, MD, FACC - Cardiology, Electrophysiology