When To Call a Doctor
Call a doctor immediately if:
- Your baby or very young child with
Reference Down syndrome Opens New Window shows signs of:
- Intestinal blockage, such as severe belly pain, vomiting, and possibly swelling of the stomach.
- Heart problems, such as bluish discoloration of the lips and fingers, difficulty breathing, or a sudden change in eating or activity level.
- A person of any age with Down syndrome shows
symptoms of dislocated neck bones. This condition often occurs after an injury. Symptoms may
- Neck pain.
- Limited neck movement.
- Weakness in the arms and legs.
- Difficulty walking.
- A change in bowel or bladder control.
Call a doctor if a person with Down syndrome:
- Acts differently or stops doing things that he or she used to. These may be a sign of pain or an illness.
- Shows signs of mental health issues, such as Reference anxiety Opens New Window or Reference depression Opens New Window. Depression often is triggered by a significant change or loss, such as the death of a family member or a change in a caregiver.
Who to see
The following health professionals can diagnose and/or treat a person who has Down syndrome:
- Reference Pediatricians Opens New Window, including those who specialize in Reference development and behavior Opens New Window
- Reference Family medicine physicians Opens New Window
- Reference Internists Opens New Window
- Reference Nurse practitioners Opens New Window
- Reference Physician assistants Opens New Window
Other specialists will be needed, such as:
- A Reference speech-language pathologist Opens New Window.
- A Reference physical therapist Opens New Window.
- An Reference occupational therapist Opens New Window.
Your child may need to see other specialists if he or she has any complications.
To prepare for your appointment, see the topic Reference Making the Most of Your Appointment.
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: Reference August 7, 2012|
|Medical Review:||Reference Susan C. Kim, MD - Pediatrics
Reference Louis Pellegrino, MD - Developmental Pediatrics