Electronic Fetal Heart Monitoring
What Affects the Test
Reasons you may not be able to have the test or why the results may not be helpful include:
- Smoking cigarettes or using other tobacco products and drinking or eating large amounts of caffeine (such as from several cups of strong coffee), which can falsely raise your baby's heart rate.
- Extra noises such as your heartbeat or your stomach rumbling.
- Your baby is sleeping during a nonstress test.
- Problems with the placement of the external monitoring
device. These problems may include:
- Your baby is moving a lot during the test.
- You are pregnant with more than one baby, such as twins or triplets.
- You are overweight.
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: Reference June 18, 2012|
|Medical Review:||Reference Sarah Marshall, MD - Family Medicine
Reference William Gilbert, MD - Maternal and Fetal Medicine