Hormone Therapy (HT)
How Well It Works
HT increases estrogen levels, which may:
- Reduce the frequency and severity of Reference hot flashes Opens New Window.Reference 3
- Improve moodiness and sleep problems related to hormone changes.Reference 2
- Maintain the lining of the vagina, which in turn reduces irritation.
- Increase skin Reference collagen Opens New Window levels, which decline as estrogen levels decline. Collagen is responsible for the stretch in skin and muscle.
- Help prevent postmenopausal osteoporosis by slowing bone loss and promoting some increase in bone density.Reference 3
- Reduce the risk of dental problems, such as tooth loss and gum disease.
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: August 8, 2012|
|Medical Review:||Reference Anne C. Poinier, MD - Internal Medicine
Reference Carla J. Herman, MD, MPH - Geriatric Medicine