Menopause and Perimenopause
Many women have turned to alternative medicine for menopause symptom relief. Before you try prescription medicines or hormones, you can think about using one or more of the following options for preventing or treating symptoms.
- Reference Reference Mind and body relaxation using breathing exercises. It may reduce hot flashes and emotional symptoms.
- Reference Black cohosh (such as Remifemin) may prevent or relieve menopause symptoms. But the research on black cohosh has had mixed results.
- Reference Soy may improve menopause symptoms. But studies have shown mixed results.
- Reference Yoga (which often includes meditative breathing) and/or Reference biofeedback gives you tools you can use to reduce stress. High stress is likely to make your symptoms worse.
Remember that dietary supplements aren't regulated the way medicines are. It's important to be careful when Reference taking supplements. Tell your doctor what you are taking.
Treatments to avoid
Based on the latest research, some treatments aren't recommended, either because they don't work or because they can cause dangerous effects.Reference 5 These include:
- Evening primrose.
- Dong quai.
- DHEA (dehydroepiandrosterone).
- Reference Wild yam or natural progesterone creams.
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: Reference April 26, 2012|
|Medical Review:||Reference Anne C. Poinier, MD - Internal Medicine
Reference Carla J. Herman, MD, MPH - Geriatric Medicine