How To Prepare
Do not eat for 4 hours before a venogram. You may drink only clear fluids for 4 hours before the test.
Before a venogram, tell your doctor if you:
- Are or might be pregnant.
- Are allergic to any medicines, Reference contrast material Opens New Window, or iodine dye.
- Have bleeding problems or take blood-thinning medicines, such as aspirin, heparin, or warfarin (Coumadin).
- Have Reference asthma Opens New Window.
- Have had a severe allergic reaction (Reference anaphylaxis Opens New Window).
- Have had kidney problems.
- Have Reference diabetes Opens New Window, especially if you take metformin (Glucophage).
You will be asked to sign a consent form for this test. Talk to your doctor about any concerns you have regarding the need for the test, its risks, how it will be done, or what the results may mean. To help you understand the importance of this test, fill out the medical test information form (What is a Reference PDF Opens New Window document?).
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: Reference June 28, 2011|
|Medical Review:||Reference Adam Husney, MD - Family Medicine
Reference Howard Schaff, MD - Diagnostic Radiology