Speech and Language Development
When To Call a Doctor
Call your doctor any time you or another caregiver has concerns about your child's speech and language development. Be aware of Reference red flags that point to a possible Reference developmental delay Opens New Window, such as when your child does not make sounds that are expected for his or her age.
Your doctor will conduct a physical exam and ask questions about your child's medical history. This information can help your doctor identify developmental patterns and assess whether any other conditions, such as hearing loss, are interfering with development.
Your doctor may also recommend other tests to:
- Rule out other conditions. For example, hearing tests done by an audiologist may be recommended to rule out hearing loss.
- Assess speech and language developmental progress. Questionnaires and evaluations by a speech-language pathologist can help define where your child's abilities are in relation to other children of the same age.
- Find out whether other problems, such as behavioral difficulties or developmental delays in other areas, are also occurring.
Who to see
The following health professionals can diagnose speech and language problems and may work with other health professionals to treat them:
- Reference Family medicine doctor Opens New Window
- Reference Pediatrician Opens New Window
- Reference Nurse practitioner Opens New Window
- Reference Physician assistant Opens New Window
Reference Speech-language pathologists Opens New Window treat children with speech and language delays.
Other professionals may be involved in the care of children with speech and language delays:
- Hearing specialist (Reference audiologist Opens New Window)
- Ear specialist (Reference otolaryngologist Opens New Window)
- Mental health professional (Reference psychologist Opens New Window, Reference psychiatric nurse Opens New Window, Reference social worker Opens New Window, Reference professional counselor Opens New Window)
- Reference Occupational therapist Opens New Window and Reference physical therapist Opens New Window
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: Reference January 27, 2012|
|Medical Review:||Reference Susan C. Kim, MD - Pediatrics
Reference Louis Pellegrino, MD - Developmental Pediatrics